At Long Last... Divergence: Alpha 2 NOW LIVE

deusex2

Re: At Long Last... Divergence: Alpha 2 NOW LIVE

Postby deusex2 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:39 pm

Hey, last time around there were Ennies, Vindies and skyscrapers to show around. This time around we have tattoos and loincloth characters walking around, and the birds...

DanH

Postby DanH » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:46 pm

deusex2 wrote:Hey, last time around there were Ennies, Vindies and skyscrapers to show around. This time around we have tattoos and loincloth characters walking around, and the birds...

There's ennies & vindies. Skyscrapers are possible too, I'm pushing for those little building blocks to be included so people can make stuff like that.

The old demo was backed by a blackbox with no support that had no future updates. It would have never gone anywhere except what you saw. Similar situation to a month ago.

I come in and after a month I have building, persistent characters, persistent world and a proper framework for mmos that's scalable to handle thousands of players. The server is flexible and features are relatively easy to add with the framework. Code a new class and my system will use reflection at startup to hook it up. I just had a programmer come in and add new features to my server today with 0 direction from me on their first try and it works flawlessly.

Sorry that you've been waiting a while for this, but for me it's only been a month and we are already further than we have ever been.

Sam
SGL

Postby Sam » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:29 pm

DanH wrote:
deusex2 wrote:Hey, last time around there were Ennies, Vindies and skyscrapers to show around. This time around we have tattoos and loincloth characters walking around, and the birds...

There's ennies & vindies. Skyscrapers are possible too, I'm pushing for those little building blocks to be included so people can make stuff like that.

The old demo was backed by a blackbox with no support that had no future updates. It would have never gone anywhere except what you saw. Similar situation to a month ago.

I come in and after a month I have building, persistent characters, persistent world and a proper framework for mmos that's scalable to handle thousands of players. The server is flexible and features are relatively easy to add with the framework. Code a new class and my system will use reflection at startup to hook it up. I just had a programmer come in and add new features to my server today with 0 direction from me on their first try and it works flawlessly.

Sorry that you've been waiting a while for this, but for me it's only been a month and we are already further than we have ever been.

Dan's posts always seem to comfort :]

EthanC
SGL

Postby EthanC » Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:04 pm

Truly the prototype looked nice, but the issue is that all that stuff was just props because we had such trouble attaching actual function to anything at all. There was no actual inventory nor systems to support it, no character customization of any kind, and everyone could just walk around and pick up everything you did the night before. It could not be expanded on and thus was realized it would never be better than it was at that moment.

I realized that solution was fucked and actually decided to completely redesign the game in order to provide the features I felt you and everyone deserved.

If you'd like to experience a game where the developers confront the shittiness of their engine, come to realize full well it's totally incapable of doing what they need but are too prideful to reverse the very first choice they made may I invite you to to head on over to my good friend "Repopulation". While you're at it, come back to me in a year and tell me what's been done with it.

Down to the issue of "you want a vindicator". People often wonder why, on occasion, i've refused their purchase request for Veli rather than keep the money and give them the character. The reason is usually because Veli, Ennie, and First-Generation Solitus are the kind of characters that spawn an internal community of their own, and because I care about my game and it's lore, i'm somewhat choosey about the kind of personalities I want to permeate those groups.

In this instance, the prospect of giving someone an unstoppable killing machine character who is going to bitch about the color of loincloths or the birds overhead doesn't appeal to me that greatly. And when you fuckup and lose it due to PVP, you're going to be furious and probably share that vitriol with the community.

This to me is not a wise decision, but if you'd like to stop being a negative Nancy, I'm more than willing to revisit the issue when your Veli could "actually do stuff" a little later down the line.

deusex2

Postby deusex2 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:50 am

Oooook...

So first of, I believe there's a misunderstanding. Dan, don't get me wrong, the job you guys did on redoing everything from a scratch is an impressive feat in itself and I am impressed by it and can't wait to see the fruits of your labors, when new DO will outshine it's prototype, gameplay wise.

Bear in mind that I'm not talking about DO's technical part, it's already suppressed the prototype. What I'm talking about is what players can do in game right now, which isn't much. And while I have full confidence in this project, I simply believe its too early to allow all people in, other than backers. Simply because when they'll log in, they won't have anything to do in-game, other than running around. And yes-they won't be staying in, nor will they be coming back in a year.

So what I'm saying is-I don't doubt that this game is going to have all the features and more, sooner or later. However right now, when you guys are still to add stuff to it, opening the flood gates isn't the smartest decision. Letting backers in-sure, but not just about everyone.

Honestly you should've waited with public access until you'd have some substance added to the game. It's what I believe.

Now I'm about to open a can of worms and talk to pissed of Ethan :lol:

I get it man-you're cranky as hell. You've made a titanical effort twice over to get things right and you've had to deal with bunch of disappointments to get to this day. So you have very little patience left for anything else, I get that.

Still, one might expect people to unleash their inner asshole for a good reason. Misunderstanding the post and sending a contributor of your game, to another game he(myself) has no interest of(you'd know if if you'd read some of my posts or at least a thread called "Sooo... The Repopulation") is certainly isn't a reason good enough. Not in my book, at least.

I've thrown in 350$ on Divergence Online, not Repopulation, and I did so because your project ended up being far more interesting, for me, than any other projects out there. I understand that this amount of contribution isn't much, when compared to some other contributions, but it isn't a small amount either

So please, next time you're gonna flip, at least re-read the post or some other posts of the person in question beforehand. Like I've said earlier, it wasn't a matter of loincloth or birds(cool new addition btw), but a matter of fact that there wasn't much to impress new people with. And if you don't agree to something or some requests, then a simple "no" is enough.

Also, don't ask me or any other of your contributors to come back in a year or any other time period. People who are still here are obviously patient enough and not that easily to get rid of. :D

EthanC
SGL

Postby EthanC » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:58 pm

The thing you need to keep in mind is that "the flood gates" are most certainly not open.

How many people do you think even know this game exists? My best guess would be less than 500 people on planet Earth, because I know how many accounts existed during the prototype, and i know how many contributed to the campaigns. If we didn't allow anyone who wanted to download the game to give it a go, you would have literally no one to interact with.

"The flood gates open" when this game goes live on Steam, and that isn't going to happen until there is actual gameplay. I'm not going to embarrass myself like so many games before and release it while there is literally nothing to do and if you think this is basic, might i recommend you look up "grass simulator". That's why this is called "alpha", and the only people who even know about it's existence are early adopters.

deusex2

Postby deusex2 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:26 pm

I thought so too, until some of my friends to whom I've mentioned Kickstarter campaign way back told me he checked the new client.

Some of them also told me he had no intention of shelving out any money for DO at all, while others said they could return a year later or so. Thing is, none of them is coming back because there are plenty of other MMOs out there that are coming out. I know my friends, I know they aren't coming back-some are interested in Star Citizen, others in Shrouds of the Avatar, while others are waiting for Albion, all the while another friend of mine does active agitation for The Repopulation, which from his words, is almost like GW2, only in space and you can virtually learn all the skills in game.

Bottom line is, there are people who log in, see the game and leave for good. There aren't much, but they're there.

I'm just worried that in the end, few early adopters are going to be the only ones online.

Sam
SGL

Postby Sam » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:37 pm

If this game succeeds its goal, it won't matter if those people don't come back.. there's plenty of other people in this world who will play the game (When it is truly showcased). This project has several bigger fish to fry at the current time. Please keep in mind this is still an alpha version of the game.. An Alpha of a ORPG is NOT a complete version of a game. It is purely to test out several implements that the development team has accomplished. Right now we would much enjoy fans to continue posting with positive suggestions you would like see implemented into this game as well as any bugs that you do so happen to uncover (which you will). Thank you very much for the insight on the project, the concerns of our fans have always been noted. We are happy to confirm with the fans that we are still here and still kicking and this project still continues to develop, which was much worth releasing the current version of the game.

deusex2

Postby deusex2 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:19 am

WHEN this game succeeds-yeah, you're right, it won't matter. However until that day, you might want to keep each and any potential contributor, in order for them to eventually help you reach that day.

But nevermind then, dropping the subject.

Sam
SGL

Postby Sam » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:54 pm

deusex2 wrote:WHEN this game succeeds-yeah, you're right, it won't matter. However until that day, you might want to keep each and any potential contributor, in order for them to eventually help you reach that day.

But nevermind then, dropping the subject.

Like we talked about before and many before that, we try to update and release what we can when we can to keep the project going. We understand you don't like that the newer version of the Alpha released, It can go either way. People see where we are, come back a year, or see when we've done nothing and never come back.

Return to “Archive”